Domestic Violence Unit

The Domestic Violence Unit was created to specifically address the growing need for police investigators who could devote their efforts on offenses that occur inside of the family. The unit consists of five investigators and a supervisor who have been specially trained in the investigation of Family Violence Offenses.

What Qualifies as Family Violence?

The Texas Family Code defines family violence as:


The following offenses are investigated by the Domestic Violence Unit:

  • Assault (Family)
  • Aggravated Assault (Family)
  • Injury / Indecency to a Child (Family)
  • Violation of Protective Order
  • Stalking
  • Kidnapping (Family)
  • False Imprisonment (Family)
  • Harassment (Family)
  • Deadly Conduct (Family)
  • Retaliation (Family)
  • Terroristic Threats (Family)
  • Sexual Assault (Family)
  • Interference with an Emergency Call
  • Burglary / Criminal Trespass (Family)

After making a police report, the case will be assigned to a Domestic Violence investigator to complete the follow-up investigation.

To find out the investigator assigned to your case, please contact 972-721-6560


I was a victim of crime and I have been feeling anxious and having difficulty sleeping ever since the offense. Am I okay?

It is common after a traumatic incident for victims to feel anxious and nervous. In addition, many victims experience difficulty sleeping, change in eating habits, and difficulty focusing on simple tasks. However, if these reactions persist or cause difficulty with normal activities, it may be necessary to seek professional help. You can view a list of normal reactions (PDF). If you need assistance finding a counselor, please call our staff.

I filed a police report and I do not know what has happened with my case. How do I find out the status?

The Victim Services Unit can assist you in finding out the status of your case and explaining the process to you. Please feel free to call between regular office hours, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

I was a victim of crime in another city, but I currently live in Irving and I need help dealing with the crime. Can I get help through the Irving Police Victim Services Unit?

Yes, the Victim Services Unit is available to help any victim of crime.

I have heard about Crime Victim's Compensation, but I do not know if I am eligible for the program. How can I find out if the program can help me?

The Victim Services Unit can review your report to assist in determining eligibility for Crime Victim's Compensation. We maintain applications in our office and can assist you in filing out the paperwork. You can also visit the Attorney General's website to get information on eligibility and application processing. You may view the safety plan (PDF) to get some ideas on ways to stay safe as you decide what to do about your situation. The National Domestic Violence Hotline is a 24 hour resource that can provide you with confidential information, support, and referrals. You can call them at (800) 983-9933. In addition, there are local domestic violence shelters that can provide emergency shelter, counseling, and referrals as needed. See our community resource list (PDF) to view some of the local domestic violence shelters.

I am a victim of domestic violence, but I do not feel that I can talk to anybody about my situation. How can I get help?

There are several resources available to you. Our main concern is your safety and we can assist you in developing a personal safety plan. In addition, there are several different types of orders that exist. It is important that you contact someone at the Police Department or Victim Services Unit if you are in fear for your safety and to find out which order would be most appropriate for you situation. You can also view our resource guide (PDF) to see some of the differences in the types of orders.

I know that the suspect in my case was arrested. How will I know if they are still in jail?

You can call the Irving jail 24 hours a day to check on the status of an arrestee. If the arrestee has been transferred to the Dallas County Jail, you can register with the VINE program (Victim Information and Notification Everyday) to get updated information on custody status. Find more information on the VINE program. Victim Services staff can also assist you with the registration process.