Victim Services Unit

The Irving Police Department combined the two Domestic Violence Counselors and the Crime Victim Coordinator under one Supervisor to form the Victim Services Unit in 2002. The unit is part of the Community Services Division and is located at the Irving Family Advocacy Center.

 Contamos con personal disponible para proveer información en español acerca de servicios para victimas. Favor de llamar al (972) 721-6560.

Services Provided

The Victim Services Unit contacts victims of violent crimes with the goal of reducing the short and long-term effects of the trauma experienced as a result of the crime. Victim services provide:

  • Crisis counseling
  • Information about victim rights
  • Information about normal reactions
  • Crime victims compensation
  • Safety planning
  • Protective orders
  • Assistance with the criminal justice process

In addition, resource referrals can be made to meet the immediate needs of crime victims, such as food, clothing and shelter.

Victim services staff coordinate with investigators, social service agencies, school districts, the district attorney's office, and local coalitions to ensure that victims receive updated information and referrals to meet their needs.

Types of Crimes

The Victim Services Coordinator handles any violent crime that is not domestic in nature. The coordinator contacts victims of aggravated robbery, sexual assault, hit and run, intoxicated assault, harassment, and homicide. If you have been a victim of one of these crimes and need information or support, please call (972) 721-6551.

Domestic Violence Counselors provide information and referrals to victims of any type of domestic crime. The Texas Family Code defines family violence as:

  • An act by a member of a family or household against another member of the family or household that is intended to result in physical harm, bodily injury, assault, sexual assault, or that is a threat that reasonably places the member in fear of imminent physical harm, bodily injury, assault, or sexual assault, but does not include defensive measures to protect oneself.

Helpful Resources

If you or someone you know has been the victim of family violence, resources are available to help. Please call (972) 721-6560 and request to speak with a Domestic Violence Counselor. You can also view our resource guide (PDF) to find out about available options. Click for the English or Spanish version.

If you need help and are unsure who to speak with, call the Victim Services Supervisor at (972) 721-6550.


Victim Services staff strives to maintain the most current information on legislation and resources to help crime victims. Staff participates in local coalitions to link with other agencies and remain current on resources. The following is a list of coalitions that the staff participates in:

  • Domestic Violence Awareness Coalition
  • Latinos Against Domestic Violence
  • Crime Victim Council of Dallas County
  • Sexual Assault Awareness Coalition
  • Law Enforcement Victim Assistance
  • Victim Rights

Victim Rights

The Texas Code of Criminal Procedure affords victims of crime several rights. To see your rights as a crime victim, please review the Code of Criminal Procedure, Title 1. Code Of Criminal Procedure, Chapter 56 - Rights Of Crime Victims, Sub-chapter A. Crime Victims' Rights.


I was a victim of crime and I have been feeling anxious and having difficulty sleeping ever since the offense. Am I okay?

It is common after a traumatic incident for victims to feel anxious and nervous. In addition, many victims experience difficulty sleeping, change in eating habits, and difficulty focusing on simple tasks. However, if these reactions persist or cause difficulty with normal activities, it may be necessary to seek professional help. You can view a list of normal reactions (PDF). If you need assistance finding a counselor, please call our staff.

I filed a police report and I do not know what has happened with my case. How do I find out the status?

The Victim Services Unit can assist you in finding out the status of your case and explaining the process to you. Please feel free to call between regular office hours, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

I was a victim of crime in another city, but I currently live in Irving and I need help dealing with the crime. Can I get help through the Irving Police Victim Services Unit?

Yes, the Victim Services Unit is available to help any victim of crime.

I have heard about Crime Victim's Compensation, but I do not know if I am eligible for the program. How can I find out if the program can help me?

The Victim Services Unit can review your report to assist in determining eligibility for Crime Victim's Compensation. We maintain applications in our office and can assist you in filling out the paperwork. You can also visit the Attorney General's website to get information on eligibility and application processing. You may view the safety plan (PDF) to get some ideas on ways to stay safe as you decide what to do about your situation. The National Domestic Violence Hotline is a 24-hour resource that can provide you with confidential information, support, and referrals. You can call them at (800) 983-9933. In addition, there are local domestic violence shelters that can provide emergency shelter, counseling, and referrals as needed. See our community resource list (PDF) to view some of the local domestic violence shelters.

I am a victim of domestic violence, but I do not feel that I can talk to anybody about my situation. How can I get help?

There are several resources available to you. Our main concern is your safety and we can assist you in developing a personal safety plan. In addition, there are several different types of orders that exist. It is important that you contact someone at the Police Department or Victim Services Unit if you are in fear for your safety and to find out which order would be most appropriate for your situation. You can also view our resource guide (PDF) to see some of the differences in the types of orders.

I know that the suspect in my case was arrested. How will I know if they are still in jail?

You can call the Irving jail 24 hours a day to check on the status of an arrestee. If the arrestee has been transferred to the Dallas County Jail, you can register with the VINE program (Victim Information and Notification Everyday) to get updated information on custody status. Find more information on the VINE program. Victim Services staff can also assist you with the registration process.