Springtime in Texas — erratic weather is the norm and, if big storms hit, residents may find they need a new roof. Or maybe it is simply time to replace or upgrade the roof on your home. The City of Irving Inspections Department offers these tips when it is time for a new roof.
Research all contractors you are considering:
- Roofing contractors must register with the City of Irving. Call the Irving Inspections Department at (972) 721-2371 to confirm registration.
- Get multiple bids for the best quality and price.
- Check Better Business Bureau (BBB) ratings. Neighbor recommendations, insurance companies and online reviews also can provide good information.
- Get references from contractors and ask to see their work.
- Ask for proof of insurance or a surety bond. This may be required by your insurance company.
- Require detailed bids, including a time frame for completion, materials, haul-off costs, permits, etc.
- Make sure a company representative inspects your roof before providing a bid. A good roofing company should get up on the roof and check everything out prior to giving you a bid, especially if storm damage is involved.
Do not forget to obtain a roofing permit, which will include a final inspection by City of Irving inspectors. The goal is to ensure the work is done properly and adheres to all local and state codes. This can save hassles later and may be required by your insurance company.
Residents can always ask Irving Inspections questions or request assistance. City of Irving’s inspectors strive to provide great service for the community. Visit CityofIrving.org/Inspections for more information.