Solid Waste Services provides special waste collection for items requiring special handling for proper disposal. The following items are acceptable for curbside collection but should be set out separate from trash bags.
- Household paint – 5-gallon limit per trash collection day. No containers larger than 5-gallons.
- Used motor oiland oil filters – Oil must be in 1-gallon sealed containers and filters must be placed in clear, sealed plastic bags with no more than five filters collected at one time.
- Antifreeze and transmission fluid – Must be in 1-gallon sealed containers.
- Vegetable oil – Vegetable-based cooking oils such as sunflower, peanut and canola oil (yellow grease) can be placed in 1-gallon sealed containers. Used cooking oil also can be placed in a sealed container and dropped off in the collection bin located at Valley View Municipal Complex, 333 Valley View Lane.
- Lead acid automotive batteries – Passenger car or light truck batteries only.
Tires are not collected at the curb; however, residents can drop off up to five tires per year at the Hunter Ferrell Landfill, 110 E. Hunter Ferrell Road, at no cost. For hypodermic needle disposal, place hypodermic needles in a container that cannot be punctured, such as an empty coffee can or soda bottle, with lid placed securely on the container and taped closed. Call Solid Waste Services at (972) 721-2232 to arrange for collection.
Residents also can participate in Household Hazardous Waste collection events to dispose of household chemicals. Residents must show proof of residency and obtain a voucher by calling (972) 721-2232 or visiting CityofIrving.org/HHW to register online.
2024 Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events
- March 9 | 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- June 8 | 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Las Colinas Service Center | 5964 Riverside Drive
Residents can also drop off acceptable items to the Dallas County Home Chemical Collection Center located at 11234 Plano Road, Dallas, TX 75243. Call (214) 553-1765 or visit Dallascounty.org/Departments/Consolidated-Services/hhw/ for more information.