Whether it’s playing a sport, taking a brisk walk or carving out time for self care, below are eight tips to help start the New Year off right.
1. Take a HIKE – Explore any of the 31.88 miles of trails the City of Irving has to offer. Some of the popular trails include Campion Trail, Delaware Creek Trail and Rock Island Road Bike and Pedestrian Trail.
2. Enjoy PARKS – Visit one of more than 90 parks in Irving that cover 1,972 developed acres and include a dog park, disc golf course, skate park, 38 playgrounds, 26 community parks and 24 neighborhood parks.
3. PLAY Irving – Play a sport outdoors. Here are just a few options:
Visit Irving Athletics for more information about sports associations in Irving. League play dependent on COVID-19 safety guidelines.
4. Check MENTAL HEALTH – Contact family members regularly to make sure they are okay. Everyone is feeling the effects of the pandemic, and it is important to talk through any feelings as a family or group. Irving Parks and Recreation will offer classes and webinars to help cope in early 2021.
5. Take a BREAK – Periodically step away from digital devices and get some fresh air outdoors, whether it is taking a walk or sitting on the patio. Just a few minutes a day will help you feel relaxed.
6. EXERCISE and RECREATE – Irving offers memberships to eight recreation centers, the Heritage Senior Center (currently closed) and the Lively Pointe Youth Center which provides ways to stay in shape year-round, including:
7. Find FUN – Either through the Facebook page @IrvingParkandRec or online at Irving Events, there are fun activities for everyone. During the pandemic, Irving Parks and Recreation has offered a variety of activities for residents such as Clue! or a scavenger hunt along the trails.
8. Enjoy COMMUNITY – Engaging with people looks different these days, but explore the community and find opportunities to participate in meaningful ways. Volunteer, join a book club or have picnics in the park!
For more information, visit Irving Parks and Recreation.