News Flash

Fire - Safety Tip

Posted on: October 8, 2021

Carbon Monoxide

Carbon Monoxide Alarm

Often called the silent killer, CARBON MONOXIDE is an invisible, odorless, colorless gas created when fuels, such as gasoline, wood, coal, natural gas, propane and oil, burn incompletely. Carbon Monoxide enters the body through breathing. Carbon Monoxide poisoning can be confused with flu symptoms, food poisoning and other illnesses. Some symptoms include shortness of breath, nausea, dizziness, lightheadedness or headaches.

Carbon Monoxide is very deadly. Please be aware of the dangers of Carbon Monoxide if you have fuel-burning appliances in your homes. Please keep these safety tips in mind to help prevent Carbon Monoxide poisoning:

  • Install Carbon Monoxide alarms in a central location outside each sleeping area and on every level of the home.
  • Test Carbon Monoxide alarms at least once a month.
  • Have your heating equipment inspected by a professional every year before cold weather sets in.
  • Always remove a vehicle from the garage when it is running.
  • Never use a range or oven to heat the home.
  • Portable generators should be operated in well ventilated locations, outdoors away from all doors, windows and vent openings.
  • If your Carbon Monoxide alarm sounds, immediately move to a fresh air location (outdoors or by an open window or door) and call 9-1-1. Remain at the fresh air location until emergency personnel say it is okay.
  • Carbon Monoxide alarms are not substitutes for smoke alarms. Know the difference between the sound of smoke alarms and Carbon Monoxide alarms.

Additional Info...
Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in Fire - Safety Tip

Irving Police and Fire personnel march along a street during a procession.

Designing a 911 for First Responders

Posted on: December 1, 2021

General Holiday Safety Tips

Posted on: November 26, 2021

Space Heater Safety

Posted on: October 29, 2021

Hands-Only CPR

Posted on: October 15, 2021

Flu Season

Posted on: August 27, 2021