Who must be licensed?

Most contractors are required to be licensed: electrical, mechanical, irrigators, and plumbing contractors. However, there are some exceptions.

General contractors do not have any licenses, but a property owner should ask their contractor if they are registered with the City of Irving before beginning work. If a contractor asks you to apply for the building permit, chances are that they may not be registered because the city verifies applicable contractor licensing with the State of Texas for all building permit applications.  

Homesteaded residents (through the Dallas Central Appraisal District) do not have to be licensed to perform work on their own home, in most cases. 

For questions about contractor registration,email the City of Irving Inspections Department at irving-permits@cityofirving.org.

Show All Answers

1. What is a building permit?
2. What good does a permit do?
3. When do I need a permit?
4. What projects typically require a building permit?
5. When is a permit not required?
6. What does a permit cost?
7. How does the city ensure building permits are procured when required?
8. How do I know who has an approved building permit and who doesn’t?
9. Whose responsibility is it to see that the building code is followed?
10. How long does it take to get a building permit?
11. When do I need to start my construction project?
12. What is the difference between a “setback” and a “utility easement”?
13. What are the City’s rules concerning sheds and carports?
14. What should I look for in a contractor?
15. Who must be licensed?
16. Should I request the permit for the contractor?
17. I am having a problem with my house. I want the city to inspect it and tell me what is wrong.
18. I am planning on digging. What do I need to do?
19. Whar are the roof requirements for residential structures?
20. I just applied for a new commercial permit. How do I get an address assigned?