Do I need a permit to do any type of construction on my property?

Zoning regulations pertain to land use, and where on a lot a structure may be placed. Actual regulation of the construction process is handled through the Permits Team in the Inspections Department. If one is planning to do any type of construction, demolition, foundation repair, electrical work, mechanical work, plumbing work, irrigation, fences, signs, fire alarms, house moving, carnivals/circuses, swimming pools, gas wells, garage sales, tree removal, addition to an existing structure, etc. they should call the Permits Team at (972) 721-2371 to find out if a permit is needed. This number will direct the caller through a series of menus and to the correct member of that team.

Show All Answers

1. What is the Planning Department?
2. Do I need a permit to do any type of construction on my property?
3. What is the zoning of my property?
4. What is the process to apply for a zoning verification letter?
5. Is my property zoned to sell beer and wine?
6. Can I change the zoning of my property?
7. How do I report zoning violations?
8. Can I do business out of my home?
9. What are the regulations for accessory buildings?
10. Can I have a guest quarters on my property?
11. Can I build a carport on my property?
12. Is my property platted?
13. How do I obtain a copy of a plat or a property survey?
14. What is the process of rezoning / platting?
15. Where can I find samples of the standardized language that is required on a plat?