What is the difference between a “setback” and a “utility easement”?

A setback is a zoning term for the “distance required from nearest point of wall of structure to property line." The City of Irving does not allow any structure to be built in the setback; driveways, flatwork, and similar items are excluded.  

A utility easement is “a grant by the property owner of the use of a designated portion of land by the public, individuals, groups, or corporations for specific purposes.”  All newer subdivision developments have utility easements clearly delineated on the plat maps. The intent of easements is to allow utility companies sufficient room to build and service their infrastructure (phone lines, cable, natural gas, water, sewer, and electricity).

The City of Irving does not allow any permanent structure, including garages, decks, pools and sheds, to be built on top of any easements.

Show All Answers

1. What is a building permit?
2. What good does a permit do?
3. When do I need a permit?
4. What projects typically require a building and/or zoning permit?
5. When is a permit not required?
6. What does a permit cost?
7. How does the city ensure building permits are procured when required?
8. How do I know who has an approved building permit and who doesn’t?
9. Whose responsibility is it to see that the building code is followed?
10. How long does it take to get a building permit?
11. When do I need to start my construction project?
12. What is the difference between a “setback” and a “utility easement”?
13. What are the City’s rules concerning prefabricated metal sheds and carports?
14. What should I look for in a contractor?
15. Who must be licensed?
16. Should I request the permit for the contractor?
17. I am having a problem with my house. I want the city to inspect it and tell me what is wrong.
18. I am planning on digging. What do I need to do?